Table Corals

Common Name: Fuzzy Table Coral

Scientific Name: Acropora paniculata

Corals that form broad horizontal surfaces are commonly called table corals. This pattern of growth increases the exposed surface area of the coral to the water column. Polyps are provided greater access to light for their zooxanthellae and it is easier for them to feed on zooplankton with their tentacles.

Back to: Coral Growth and Forms